- Sé do Oporto
The Cathedral is one of the most important Romanesque buildings in Portugal. It was greatly altered in the course of the centuries but it has kept its fortress style. The main facade is flanked by two square towers and the porch is in Rococo style. The side wall is from the 18th century. Inside there are three naves and a Baroque choir. The Holy Sacrament chapel has a silver altarpiece and the gothic cloister is decorated with baroque azulejos from 1730.
- Igreja dos Grilos (S.Lourenço)
It was built by the Jesuits in1577 in mannerist style, and its grand facade is impressive. Inside there is an 18th century altarpiece in sculptured wood.
- Igreja da Santa Clara
It was part of the convent that had the same name, it was created in 1416 and improved in the 17th and 18th century. The interior is completely covered in gilded wood, it is known under the name "golden church".
- Igreja Santo Ildefonso was built in the 18th century, it has baroque, Rococo and neo-classic gilded wood. The facade is decorated with painted azulejos from the 20th century.
- Igreja dos Congregados was finished at the beginning of the 18th century. It has 20th century azulejos on its facade. The altarpiece is neo-classic.
Adenida das Aliados
- The City Hall was built in 1920. Inside there is a magnificent black marble staircase. The facade is dominated by a 70 m tower. In front of the city hall there is Avenida Dos Aliados, and the central square da Liberdade, with the equestrian statue of king D.Pedro IV, designed by Frenchman Calmels.
- Igreja dos Clérigos is a Baroque style church, from the 18th century by Italian architect Nicolau Nasoni, with a monumental divided stairway in front. The interior is richly decorated, and the architect's tomb is there. The church is flanked by a tall bell tower (75.60 m) which is the ex-libris of Oporto. You can go up to the top (225 steps!), the view is magnificent.
Torre dos Clérigos
- Igreja S.Francisco was part of the convent with the same name. It was begun in the 14th century and completed in the 15th century. The inside is covered with gilded wood from the 17th and 18th century. Baroque and Rococo style. Next to the church there is also a sacred art museum and catacombs.
- Igreja da Cedofeita is in romanesque style and is the oldest in Oporto. The nave has only one aisle.
The Church of Cedofeita was extensively renovated in the 20th century, removing baroque additions and giving it a more "mediaeval" appearance.
- Igreja S.Nicolau
Today you will be able to see a reconstruction from the 18th century because this church built in the 17th century was completely destroyed in a fire. Inside there are Rococo and neo-classic style altarpieces.
- Igreja do Carmo and Igreja das Carmelitas
The two churches are separated by a 1 m narrow
house, which was built due to a law that stated that no two churches could share a wall, while also ensuring chastity between the monks of Carmo and the nuns of Carmelitas. Carmo church was built in the 18th century, in late baroque style, it has a richly decorated façade and gilt wood carvings inside. Outside an extraordinary side wall is completely covered in blue and white azulejos.panels. To the left is Carmelitas Church, part of a former 17th century convent with a simple classical façade, a bell tower, and a richly gilded interior.